2007年11月6日火曜日

HOMEWORK#2

1.Death and Funerals:

a. Do you have any international friends or a host family? If so, how would you express your condolences to them if a family member died? If not, then how would you express condolences to an American host family if their Grandmother died?

I have several friends in other countries. I'm not sure what I should do when my friend's family die. Actually, when the mother of one of my classmates died, I couldn't do anything and also couldn't say anything for her. She wanted us, other classmates not to say our condolences to her about her mother's death. In my opinion, the most important thing is the feeling of the people who lost their family. We have to change the way to express our condolences case by case.

b. Have you ever been to a foreign funeral?

I've been to funerals just two times before. One was my maternal grandfather's. Another was my paternal grandmother. Both funerals were in the style of my own country. So, I never been to a foreign funeral.



2. The language of Clothes (preparation for next weeks topic):

a.Why are Japanese designer label crazy? Why is what you wear so important?

Nowadays the number of Japanese wearing branded things such as handbag is increasing. Even the high school students have Louis Vuitton handbags. There are many people who try to show their good qualities to others. Japanese tend to express their strength through their appearances. I think what people wear is important both for one selves and for others because this idea is common now in Japan.

b.What does “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” mean to you?

In my opinion, the 'book' implies the content. At the same time, the 'cover' indicates the physical appearance. I agree with this idea, which means we have to judge the person after we get to know the person well. But to wear proper things is perceived as a matter of common knowledge. For example, when people do job hunting, they give care to their own clothes. The appropriate suit for job searching is in good order. Therefor, people mustn't judge the person by just the appearance, but people have to know that judging by costume is the common practice.

4 件のコメント:

tulalup さんのコメント...

hi, Do you like to buy a brand stuff?? What do you think high school students have a brand stuff like Louis Vuitton?

sunflower さんのコメント...

I don't think that it is important what you have. Because I think these people are some in Japan.

green さんのコメント...

I don't like high brands like Louis Vuitton because many people have its bags and wallets. How about you?

ddcgc donardo さんのコメント...

I don't say that I don't like such brand stuff...But I agree with SUNFLOWER's opinion that it's not important what they have.